Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Is Geography a lost science?


I know geography is not stressed today. While teaching the other day, I was reviewing the expansion of our country, you know, Manifest Destiny. I was explaining and showing the states, as they were being admitted into the USA. Just as I completed the Compromise of 1850 and the admittance of California, a student asked me a question. I thought, “How cool, a question”. Man, was I in for it…

Student: “You mean, California is way over there, all by itself?”
I responded, “Yes, that’s right, until Oregon comes into the Union.”
Student: “What’s in the middle there?” pointing to the mass of empty space between the states.
I said, “Good question, what do you think is there?” Looking for American Indians, frontiersmen, pioneers, etc…
Student: “The Ocean?”

My heart sank…Is Geography a lost science?


Devem

1 comment:

  1. Mate, that's before you ask them where Europe is, or Africa! Being the massive fan of the US that I am, I love many things about your country but the complete disregard for the rest of the world exhibited by some was amazing! Geography needs to be at the centre of education so as to raise informed, well rounded global citizens, not people who merely know that America is the best and pride themselves on a lack of knowledge about anyone else. Great blog by the way sir! Mike P.

    ReplyDelete